Thursday, January 7, 2010

What does cream of tartar do for recipes?

Is it an ingredient that can be skipped if you don't have it? ( can't find it in any store in town!)What does cream of tartar do for recipes?
Cream of tartar is also used to give a creamier texture to sugary things like candy and frosting and to stabilize and increase the volume of beaten egg whites.





(Cream of tartar can be used to clean brass and copper cookware-- Just thought I'd throw this in..lol!)





It's basically the same as baking soda! If you don't have it google, or ask on Answers of course, %26amp; see what the substitution rate would be... If you have baking soda %26amp; it would be appropriate for what you're cookin' up.





**** I WENT AHEAD %26amp; GOT THE ABOVE ANSWER FOR YOU!! ****


Cream of Tartar is used in cookies mainly as a substitute for baking powder. Baking powder is mainly a combination of cream of Tartar and Baking soda. You can use as a substitute for Baking powder 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda plus 1/2 teaspoon of cream of tartar.What does cream of tartar do for recipes?
Thanks for teaching me that!! I have often wondered myself...NOW...I Know!! Lillsoma ~_~. Report Abuse

Cream of tartar is also found in baking powder. It helps pancakes to become fluffy.


My recipe for pancakes calls for two teaspoons of baking powder and one teaspoon of Cream of tartar...but the latter is found in the former! Baking powder is a mix of cream of tartar and baking soda.
Here hun, let me be of help to you! :)





http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url…





Here is where you can buy some ( provided you are in America)!





If you are not in America, look up the Amazon site for your country ( be it amazon.ca, amazon.uk, etc.)





I'm sorry to not have knowledge of its purpose. But I would not advise adding more baking soda unless you don't mind that very sodium taste in your food! But I CAN tell you it is a white powder.
Cream of tartar is used to make meringue sit up. I think you can use a bit more baking powder as a substitute. Look in the baking supplies, baking soda, baking powder at the grocery store. I don't buy cream of tartar.
In cookies, it does make quite the diffence, it makes them a little cripier and drier in my opinon, like in a snickerdoodle cookie, adding a tbs to sugar cookie dough makes it have that texture those cookies have
I use it to clean coffee and tea stains off of the pots. It is not poisonous and does a good job if you moisten it a little to use as a scrub powder.
Here's a tip: Tartar sauce makes a good salad dressing.
I believe it is a thickener.
It makes whatever you put it in....tart!

No comments:

Post a Comment